Front Desk Supervisor
Holiday Inn Battle Creek
A Front Desk Attendant is often the first and last person a guest will encounter during their stay. This means providing the highest quality of hospitality service is not only a duty, but a passion. From arrival to departure and every point of contact in between, a Front Desk Attendant is expected to be friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. As the front line of the hotel, it is your mission to meet and exceed the expectations of guests.
In addition to general Front Desk Attendant duties and responsibilities, Front Desk Leads/Supervisor is considered the first line of defense to help resolve guest, employee and hotel related issues during their scheduled shifts. This person should possess excellent problem resolution skills and be able to maintain a positive demeanor during potentially stressful situations. In addition, this person must implement strong communication skills to accurately relay issues to the hotel leadership team in a productive manner.
High School diploma or General Education Diploma is required. Additional studies in hospitality are encouraged.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Must have the ability to speak, understand, read and write the English language.
- Must be able to multi-task effectively in a busy office and public atmosphere.
- Must have the ability to apply appropriate resolution to stressful situations.
- Must read and understand the Employee Handbook.
- Must be able to follow policy and perform to enhance professionalism in appearance and behavior.
- Must be able to compute basic mathematical calculations including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Must be able to perform basic computer skills (including Excel, Word, and E-Mail).
Duties and Responsibilities
Safety & Cleanliness
- Know and be able to execute Emergency Procedures.
- Practice safety standards at all times and keep the property safe for guests and fellow employees. Report any injuries or unsafe conditions to management.
- Prevent any person(s) not registered as a guest from the use of hotel amenities (pool, fitness, breakfast, etc.) Loitering is not permitted at the hotel.
- Maintain front porte-cochere by picking up trash, shoveling snow, melting ice, etc.
- Ensure cleanliness of all guest public areas at all times (i.e. vestibule, lobby, pool, and public restrooms).
- Know and live the mission and values of the hotel brand and company.
- Directly responsible for overall guest satisfaction during every interaction from confirmed reservation to the guest departure.
- Maintain a friendly and helpful attitude at all times.
- Greet every guest with a smile at 10 feet and a verbal greeting at 5 feet.
- Answer the phone within three rings with a smile and approved greeting.
- Apply appropriate problem handling method(s) to quickly and efficiently resolve any guest issues.
- Respond to in-house guest requests within 15 minutes unless otherwise specified by guest.
- Handle guest mail, messages and safe deposit boxes as outlined in additional policy.
- Effectively operate the hotel computer system or property management system.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of hotel staff, services, room locations, room rates, amenities, and hotel surroundings (i.e. shopping, restaurants, and medical facilities).
- Possess a working knowledge of hotel reservation and cancellation procedures.
- Ensure guest reservations have full and accurate contact information.
- Know guest loyalty program and accurately represent the brand’s membership benefits.
- Administer existing member’s benefits according to brand standard.
- Recruit new loyalty program members.
- Monitor room availability, selling strategies, and rate discounts.
- Knowledge of current package rates, group rates, local and national negotiated rates.
- Execute group reservations, manage blocks and cut off dates.
- Handle meeting/conference room inquiries, booking, and billing.
- Communicate with colleagues in all departments to meet needs of guests.
- Understand and consistently follow all cash handling procedures including the hotel credit and check cashing procedures.
- Open and close shift correctly. Make cash drops in accordance with proper cash handling procedures to ensure rotating banks stay at predetermined amount.
- Count bank at beginning and end of shift. Report all cash overage/shortages to management. Comply with hotel and department accounting procedures.
- Comprehension of multiple different payment methods and billing procedures of guest reservations.
- Wash, dry, fold and bundle hotel linens and towels during down times and/or as needed.
- Maintain complimentary coffee bar.
- Complete shift work checklist as assigned.
- Must successfully complete education related to assigned duties and role.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Collaborate with the Hotel Management to ensure policies are followed and department goals are being met.
- Assume role of Manager on Duty in the absence of Assistant General Manager and General Manager.
- Serve as first level of contact for guest service and employee issues. Take appropriate action to resolve issues and communicate escalated issues to Operations Manager or General Manager.
- Ensure house availability and room types are balanced in Property Management System.
- Monitor reservations for accurate room rates and billing. Make corrections as needed.
- Actively review and respond professionally to social media websites.
- Monitor Cash Drawer Log and report any overages/shortages to Operations Manager or General Manager.
- Provide company and brand standard training to new hires within department.
- Facilitate coaching and counseling sessions with employees, per company policies.
- Schedule department employees according to occupancy forecast.
- Manage group blocks in property management system.
- Provide ongoing training and mentoring to employees as needed.
- Facilitate team/department meetings to ensure effective communication and lead in the absence of the Operations Manager.
- Assist with monitoring inventory of supplies and equipment.
Public, business atmosphere, located near building entrance in which temperatures may vary within reason of indoor climates. Lifting and carrying up to 10 lbs. may occur, and with assistance, moving up to 50 lbs. Must be able to stand for long periods of time.